Inexpensive Science Equipment for STEM Classrooms


Classroom budgets are tight. Science activities require supplies that can be hard on a tight budget.  I jumped right in as the elementary science lab teacher but had very little supplies.  The district bought me two science carts and gave me a budget of $500.  That money went fast. I was teaching in two different buildings and had over 600 students.   I had to be creative.  I looked at every lesson to see how I could modify the supplies.  Not everything needed to be the fancy lab tools.  It takes time to collect all those science supplies.  Start small and each year your collection will grow.  Here are some of my favorite tools to keep on hand.  I try as much as I can to have things I can reuse.  Easy to wash is a must too.  I also keep an eye out at garage sales for vases, baby spoons, glasses, measuring tools, and anything I think has potential.  It is also good to ask for donations.


I always keep mason jars of various sizes.  Easy to wash and can handle different temperatures.  I also like them for measuring.  The clear glass is easy to see through.  They are heavy and don't tip over easily. 




http://kimberlyscottscience.blogspot.com/2016/05/10-ways-to-use-baby-bottles-in-science.html


Here are some other items I always keep stocked up.


Baby Spoons
Wax Paper
Eye Droppers
Puppy Pads (for spills)
Laundry Detergent Scoops
Medicine Cups
Petri Dishes
Paint Trays
Straws
Plastic Containers ( lunch meat, butter, yogurt)
Baby Soda Bottle Test Tubes

Science Show and Tell: A Growing Collection of Science Dem



Popular Posts